Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Black Friday...

I can now officially say, I hate Black Friday! I know that everyone complains that they start it earlier and earlier every year, and that its just too crazy to deal with, but my hatred for it is so much deeper. Beyond the fact that this day of excessive consumerism is just an excuse to spend way too much money on things people don't need and then just perpetuates this cycle of people missing the whole "point" of Christmas and just worrying about buying the best gift and trying so desperately to meet others' expectations. Black Friday is now costing people their families...

Several years ago, long before I so tragically lost my mother way too soon, I gathered up a group of my favorite girlfriends to spend the evening with me and my parents for my birthday. We all got dressed up and headed to The Melting Pot for a fancy meal, and it was a blast. I have always enjoyed spending time with my mom, and this night was no exception. Toward the end of the meal, one of my friends changed the subject from whatever we were talking about at the time to trying to decide where us girls were going to head next. I was a little annoyed, because my mother and step-father had just graciously treated us all to dinner, and I was really enjoying spending time with them and being silly. Several more times over the next several minutes, this friend kept bugging us to get going onto some other "fun" event that we should partake in. Finally, I guess she got fed up waiting, and she just stood up and said, "Let's go!" Even though it was MY birthday and I wanted to stay and hang out longer, I obliged and us young and hip gals went out on the town while my folks went home. That friendship didn't last long after that night, and looking back, I would give anything for 30 extra minutes laughing and chatting with my mom.

How does Black Friday compare to this night? Well, because now stores are staying open all day on Thanksgiving, or opening up at 9pm...or even earlier! IT IS THANKSGIVING PEOPLE! It is a day to spend time with the family that you never get to see but maybe twice a year. It is a day to be thankful for what you have. It is a day to focus on the important things in life, a day to remember your priorities. I don't want to leave my family early to go stand in the rain so that I can save a few bucks on some crappy toy. I don't want to sacrifice what little time I might have left with these people to go shop! I know that these stores aren't making me do anything, that these sales are going to happen whether I am there or not, but I just don't understand why our society thinks that this is an acceptable practice. If I do want to get one of these good deals, I have to sacrifice something much more valuable, something priceless, to obtain it. It is not worth it. I used to like Black Friday. I used to enjoy getting up early after my turkey coma, getting a Starbucks, and beginning the Christmas season with a bang, but I will no longer participate. These stores are acting a lot like my selfish and insensitive friend, they are asking me to give up a very sacred family holiday to go be reckless and irresponsible. I no longer wish to be friends with them.

If you are heading out for Black Friday---I mean Black Thursday---that is your choice. Just make sure you aren't giving up something much more valuable than what you are getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment