Thursday, March 22, 2012

I'm definately missing a few digits...

Dave Ramsey (my financial savior and possibly the smartest man in the world) says to his listeners that, "taking financial advice from a broke person is like taking shop class from a teacher with missing fingers." It's so true that we often listen to people around us (our friends, parents, co-workers, salespeople) who love to give advice about what we should be doing with our money, but often those are the people who are riddled with debt, no savings, no retirement, or living way above their means. And those people in our lives who really do exhibit great money managing skills, we are often embarrassed to admit that we might need a little guidance. I was turned onto listening to Dave and really paying attention to my money by my step-father in about 2005. At that time, I was a full-time college student and part-time waitress barely making ends meet putting myself through school. A lot of his teachings went way over my head and I had a hard time being able to apply anything because I was so focused on survival! Once I graduated, started working more regularly, and got married, I revisited his teachings with my husband in the fall of 2009 and we began our Financial Peace journey...

I titled this blog "I'm definitely missing a few digits" because I feel like I am in no way in the financial position to be giving anyone else advice, as I am the proverbial shop teacher with missing fingers, but what I would like to do is to share what I have learned along the way and open myself up to some of the stumbles we have had and the hard lessons I have learned. In this economy, a lot of people who once may have been doing just fine, are looking for new ways to save money, spend less, and create more financial freedom by cutting the puppet strings that creditors have on us. I hope this blog will help me stay on track, and inspire others to make small but very meaningful changes in their lives.

1 comment:

  1. Your step-father is still a shop-teacher with a missing digit!... always learning more.

    ReplyDelete